Single mothers epitomize strength in adversity, pride from despair, and love in abundance. They make for unsung heroes in the world – an absolute miracle numbering in the billions. There’s plenty to be said about a mother’s undeniable tenacity, and we’ve cherry-picked 15 inspiring strong mom quotes for single moms to give struggling or exhausted mothers the motivational pick-me-up they sorely deserve.
Motherhood is one of the most demanding commitments a woman can make in her life, and it goes far beyond the months of carrying the baby to term. It can get tiring, but a little inspiration can go a long way towards easing those burdens.
We dedicate the list below to all mothers finding their footing in the lifelong role – you’ll do an amazing job, so stay strong and stand proud. There’s plenty you can learn from other inspiring strong single moms with all the quotes and wisdom they have to share.
Inspirational Single Mom Quotes for Strength
1. “There’s a feeling sometimes in motherhood that you’re alone in what you’re going through, and none of us are alone. We’re all going through the same thing.” – Nia Vardalos.
Motherhood places you in a position few in your immediate vicinity can relate to, and the task only gets more daunting as your little one grows up. Even if you have others chipping in to raise a child, a mother always carries the lion’s share of that responsibility. The experience can be demanding, overwhelming, and alienating.
It’s easy to view the struggle as insurmountable – that motherhood has been designed to break you as a person specifically. Remind yourself that there are other mothers out there, and while they don’t share your exact circumstances they’re handling the challenges of motherhood all the same.
Try getting in touch with other mothers on how they’re handling things. Doing so validates your struggle, provides crucial perspective and hopefully offers you comfort in that solidarity. Motherhood isn’t as solitary of an experience as most are led to believe, so don’t let bad thoughts worm their way into your mindset.
2. “I think every working mom probably feels the same thing: You go through big chunks of time where you’re just thinking, ‘This is impossible – oh, this is impossible.’ And then you just keep going and keep going, and you sort of do the impossible.” – Tina Fey.
What’s impossible and what’s achievable isn’t as far off as most people think. Humans took to the skies only last century and soared into space in less than sixty years. Motherhood is just as exemplary as that – just because it’s been done by others does not detract from how impressive that achievement truly is.
Single mothers do the impossible constantly because they don’t have time to think, doubt, or complain. they only do – always to the best of their ability – and achieve exemplary results navigating their child through life. Motherhood sounds daunting at the best of times, impossible at the worst. That said, what’s impossible isn’t always insurmountable.
Single mothers carry far more strength than they realize, and it’s just enough for what they need to accomplish. Don’t think too hard on how: just grit your teeth and power through, and the impossible will clear a path for you.
3. “The mother is everything – she is our consolation in sorrow, our hope in misery, and our strength in weakness. She is the source of love, mercy, sympathy, and forgiveness.” – Khalil Gibran (The Broken Wings).
For children, single mothers are the center of the universe. They provide the first new vestiges of warmth in an infant’s life. We can see this in action – right after birth, newborns can identify their mothers through their scent and voice, seeking comfort in that presence even before developing cognition.
Don’t ever forget your importance in a little one’s life. A single mother is a caretaker, bedrock, and role model. They pay you undivided attention. Even if you believe you’re insignificant in the grand scheme of the world, you are the entirety of it for your baby. Even when they begin to grow and include new things in their lives, a mother’s warmth remains an indelible part of their experience.
4. “I didn’t set out to be a single mom. I set out to be the best mom I could be… And that hasn’t changed.” – Unknown.
Mothers are human – they remain just as fallible as any of us, and there’s no shame in that. Never forget that your best won’t look the same every day, and dwelling won’t improve a thing. Set out to do right for your child, and things will turn out just fine.
5. “You have to carry on as a mother, no matter what, and that’s what I’ve always done.” – Madonna.
6. “You do the best you can. Some days you feel really good about yourself and some days you don’t.” – Katie Holmes.
How you feel is just as important as what you’re doing. Even when you’re doing an awesome job, feeling some guilt or anxiety can’t be helped at times. Enjoy the good moments as they come – the brightness of your child’s eyes, their laugh, pride for a job well done. Don’t take the tough ones to heart: they won’t make you any less of a mother.
Don’t give up. The worst of the world always passes with time. Do what you can to endure, and you’ll be amply rewarded by happy, loving children and a boatload of fond memories.
7. “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” – Sophia Loren.
Some single moms might think they aren’t doing enough to contribute, but it’s such a struggle to include a person in their thoughts, lives, and prayers – without even knowing them yet, to boot! Mothers bear that unique responsibility, so please give yourself some credit for doing something most of the world can hardly imagine.
8. “Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had, and dealing with fears you didn’t know existed.” – Linda Wooten (A Mother’s Thoughts).
It also prepares you to help others in need of such guidance. It’s a scary trip, but you’ll be well-equipped to handle anything the world might throw at you by the end of it.
9. “She has to have four arms, four legs, four eyes, two hearts, and double the love. There is nothing single about a single mom.” – Mandy Hale (The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass).
For the single moms among the readers, know that you’re doing more than enough for your child. There is nothing simple about handling such an obscene workload. Single moms – like other moms, really – are nothing short of incredible!
10. “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” – Robert Browning.
Just imagine looking your little one in the eyes. They’ll look back with that bright, excitable sparkle – as if they’re just basking in their whole universe. In this case, that’s exactly what you are!
As a proud single mother, you are their first glimpse into joy, strength, kindness, and comfort. Don’t sell yourself short here.
11. “I see myself as mom first. I’m so lucky to have that role in life. The world can like me, hate me or fall apart around me and at least I wake up with my kids and I’m happy.” – Angelina Jolie.
12. “Love as powerful as your mother’s leaves its own mark… To have been loved so deeply… Will give us some protection forever.” – J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter).
While it isn’t as fanciful as a CGI magic spell, a mother’s love does leave a powerful mark. It protects and nurtures people, inspiring them to extend that same kindness that welcomed them into the world with a warm smile and open arms.
It takes true strength to remain kind while raising a child, but your efforts will make the world a much better place to live in.
13. “To all mothers in every circumstance, including those who struggle, I say, ‘Be peaceful. Believe in God and yourself. You are doing better than you think you are.’” – Jeffrey R. Holland.
This is always the case, so don’t be too harsh on yourself. Don’t get caught up in what you aren’t providing. Just turn back and recognize how much you’ve already done, and allow yourself to be impressed with how far you’ve come along.
14. “The fastest way to break the cycle of perfectionism and become a fearless mother is to give up the idea of doing it perfectly – indeed to embrace uncertainty and imperfection.” – Arianna Huffington.
15. “A mom’s strength is a bit different. It doesn’t push, it doesn’t yell, it doesn’t run. It’s persistent, constant, and ready to face the world, one step at a time.” – Unknown.
As a proud single mother, you are a bastion in your baby’s life. Your presence brought them comfort since their birth, and that won’t change no matter what. Just stand by your little one even when they aren’t so little anymore, and they’ll grow into wonderful human beings.
For the single moms reading this list, we just want to reiterate that you are not alone. Motherhood is a strange experience – uniquely personal yet shared with many billions of others just as disoriented. A few inspiring strong single mom quotes might help remind you that a lot of others have gone through what you are now, and they’ve managed well. We hope you find some solace in that solidarity.