Few things are more bittersweet than rainbow babies. Joy and hope end up tempered by harsher memories, and that guilt can get to some mothers. It isn’t easy to celebrate with such experiences in the back of one’s thoughts, but please stay strong for your rainbow baby.
You can celebrate their life while still treating the little ones lost with the dignity they deserve, and we offer you what comfort we can through this list of comforting rainbow baby quotes.
Rainbow babies are children born after a prior miscarriage, stillbirth, or other loss. They’re bittersweet affairs, symbolic of renewal and progress. They also celebrate love, not just life. They include both of your children – the one in your arms, and the one already past. We’ve got a few rainbow baby quotes speaking on both topics that’ll hopefully ease your feelings.
Rainbow babies are based more on love and growth, rather than just life and presence. We’ll elaborate on that a bit more down below.
What Are Rainbow Babies All About?
Rainbow babies are simply babies born after a loss of the last pregnancy. They’re meant to symbolize new beginnings and hope, with the journey there backlit by pained memories.
Most mothers are ecstatic upon being able to hold their dear child in their arms, but on occasion, they may dwell on old losses with resounding grief.
We just want you to understand that rainbow babies are more than just the bundle of joy in your arms. It’s a celebration of love for both of your children. Even if you can only hold one of them close to your chest, you know that the other is deep within your heart and soul.
For that reason, rainbow baby quotes need to be held with both children in mind. The little one in your grasp needs to have the journey awaiting them cherished. Be ready to give them all the love you have to spare.
The little one with the angels deserves to have their memory preserved – their realness etched deep in loving memory. The latter can be very challenging, and it may not be for everyone, but coming to terms with the pain in your past will liberate you from that fear, letting you love guiltlessly.
Quotes For Rainbow Babies
1. “Rainbows remind us that even after the darkest clouds, and the fiercest winds, there is still beauty.” – Katrina Mayer.
Even in the harshest of times, we’re allowed to hold out for hope. Rainbow babies remind us that there’s more to life than misery. Though it can be hard to believe, there’s beauty, and joy, and other wonderful things awaiting us in the future.
2. “I loved you from the very start. You stole my breath, embraced my heart. Our life together has just begun. You’re part of me, my little one.” – Unknown.
The child before you might as well be life itself, and you’ll embrace them with all the warmth and comfort you can muster. All that’s left is to accomplish the future you’ve dreamed of, so get to work nurturing your dazzling little rainbow.
3. “This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, love to complete your life.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
4. “Rainbows introduce us to reflections of different beautiful possibilities, so we never forget that pain and grief are not the final options in life.” – Aberjhani.
It’s tempting to just surrender to despair, but the future holds far more than just loss. Stopping short denies you of the chance to make a future worth dreaming of. No one wants their hopes dashed, but all good things in life carry risks. It’s inevitable, but that should never be your focus.
Pain and grief are part of the cycle of life, and you don’t have to let it end on a disappointing note. If you give up trying for better after the first tragedy, you wouldn’t have anything wonderful enough for the second. Carry on through the worst of it, and there’s nowhere left to go but up.
5. “Floods won’t drown out the brightness in the same way rainbows can’t conceal the torrent. Both linger in the world, but neither detracts from the other. Find it in yourself to smile at the view, even when your toes get soaked in the deluge.” – Unknown.
Bittersweet times can be difficult, and it’s easy to feel guilty over your own joy. Try to find a balance – the past doesn’t dictate the future, but the future will never erase the past. Respect both parts of your life without letting one overwrite the other.
6. “It is called a rainbow baby because it is like a rainbow after a storm – something beautiful after something scary and dark.” – Jennifer Kulp-Makarov.
7. “Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue. And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.” – Yip Harburg.
8. “Just as the name would suggest, the message was clear: rainbow babies are magic. I wanted that. I wanted to feel that type of deep, full-to-the-brim joy once again.” – Chaunie Brusie.
Rainbow babies provide an overwhelming joy, invigorating even weary souls. They can’t ever bury old grief, but permit a means to move past that. Losing a child is an agonizing experience, with little capable of overcoming that despair.
That doesn’t mean it’s impossible to find something capable of providing that. Rainbow babies are little miracles of prismatic light, shining brilliantly in your life. Please, let yourself feel that enriching brand of joy.
9. “You never arrived in my arms, but you will never leave my heart.” – Zoe Clark-Coates.
10. “As you danced in the light with joy, love lifted you. As you brushed against this world so gently, you lifted us.” – TC Ring.
11. “How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts.” – Dorothy Ferguson.
While some mothers might prefer the tragic pregnancy to go unmentioned, others suffer more from the silence. Stillborn babies are still children in their mother’s eyes and are as worthy of love and remembrance as any other baby. Having them go forgotten and unmentioned can be terrifying.
You’re simply holding them deep in your heart, rather than pressed against your chest. Lost babies are no less loved than the one nuzzled in your arms, and acknowledging that may ease some pain.
The process of mending oneself may involve coming to terms with such things, but it also may not. It depends on the mother, but you need to decide that for yourself – don’t let others do so for you. Letting the memory fester may lead to old grief hampering new joy. Both you and your rainbow baby deserve much better than that.
It’s not for everyone, but if you believe it’s for you be brave and confront that loss properly. Hopefully, this lets you keep that pain away from your present. May the joy you share with your rainbow baby remain untarnished by past grief.
12. “Some of us are mommies of children, some of us are mommies of angels, and some of us are mommies of both. We are all mommies.” – Alycia de Lucio.
A miscarriage does not make you any less of a mother. You’re allowed to love, cherish, and grieve as any mother ought to for their little ones. Having a rainbow baby makes you a mother of two, and even if you never got to experience the first child’s growth you loved them deeply all the same.
We hope you’ve found some comfort in rainbow baby quotes we shared. Old memories will inevitably sting, but we urge you to part with the guilt from the past and love your present. Dote and care for your rainbow baby to the best of your ability – don’t waste a single moment with your precious ones.